Who is this for?
- You are just getting started with note-taking or you've recently switched to Obsidian
- You wonder how to take smart notes
- You want to know how to properly organize your notes and avoid creating an overwhelming mess
- You want a solid system that scales
- You wonder what Zettelkasten, the PARA method, and the Johnny decimal system are
Getting started with Obsidian is not the hardest thing in the world, but it takes a lot of trial and error to figure out how to structure and organize your knowledge base. You have a busy life, and you don't want to spend weeks or even months figuring out the "right" approach.
What is this?
I've been passionate about information, knowledge management, and PKM for more than 20 years. As a knowledge worker, author, blogger, and entrepreneur, I needed solutions to store and organize an enormous amount of information.
Over the years, I've explored, used, and advocated many tools but have been using Obsidian extensively since last year. With the Obsidian Starter Kit, I offer you the result of my own research and experimentation. It's like a cheat code to jump straight to stress-free note-making.
I've spent months refining and perfecting my Personal Knowledge Management (PKM) system, and have spent countless hours tweaking my system. I've published a few articles to share some ideas about this. My system combines the Zettelkasten approach, the PARA method, the Johnny decimal system, and other ideas to create a solid basis for my work as an author, blogger, and content creator.
The Obsidian Starter Kit is a ready-made Obsidian vault that includes my recommended organization system and plugins, as well as example notes to help you get started. It also comes along with a user-friendly guide.
If you buy access to the Obsidian Starter Kit, you'll get:
- The Obsidian vault
- A comprehensive structure
- Many recommended plugins to improve productivity
- Many examples: Journaling, Zettelkasten, PARA, Personal organization, Resources, Templates, Johnny Decimal system, Meetings, Periodic reviews, ...
- The user guide
- Lifetime access to the Personal Knowledge Management community for support and knowledge sharing
In addition, you'll also get free access to all future updates. Over time, I'll expand it step by step to include tutorials about the various aspects; from exploration/curation to summarization and reuse.
What's in the user guide?
The user guide is a growing and evergreen knowledge base about how to take smart notes. It includes:
- Installation instructions.
- Details about the contents of the Obsidian Starter Kit (i.e., Obsidian vault structure, key design principles, included plugins, etc.)
- A clear overview of Obsidian and its core concepts (everything you should know and care about)
- Clear explanations about...
- The Zettelkasten method
- Atomic notes
- Progressive summarization
- The PARA method
- The LIFT principle
- The Johnny Decimal system
- Maps of Content (MoCs)
- Periodic reviews
- Why and how to tag notes
- The Markdown syntax
- Why you need a single source of truth for everything
- The collector's fallacy
- The Inbox Zero principle
- Obsidian tips and tricks
The user guide of the Obsidian Starter Kit is expanding day after day, week after week. It will soon include:
- More theory: Tagging, Templating, Periodic reviews, Maps of Content (MOCs)
- Detailed processes (e.g. when to take notes, how to use Zettelkasten in practice, daily notes, periodic reviews, ...)
- How-to guides (e.g., how to tag notes, how to search, how to capture quotes, how to keep track of contacts, how to create maps of content, etc
- More tips and tricks
The Obsidian vault also evolves over time:
- The structure improves
- New templates are added
- New plugins are added
If you're not 100% satisfied, then just let me know, and I'll issue a full refund. I'll only ask you a single question: How can I improve the product?
If you think about asking for a refund, then consider reaching out to me with your issues, questions, and remarks. I'm always available and happy to help. My goal is to help you succeed.
Praise from others
"Finally clickeđ how awesome @Obsidian is! Thanks to your excellent Obsidian Starter Kit!"
"Off and running w/ @obsdmd. I've installed the app & have @dSebastien Starter Kit & my own fresh start Vault open. Learning from former & putting into practice w/ real content in latter. So far, so good"
One copy of the Obsidian Starter Kit
- One copy of the Obsidian Starter Kit